Monday 18 May 2009

How To Reduce The Stress?

Wouldn’t it be nice to find tips to reduce stress? Recently, I came across something that seems to fit that bill quite nicely. It is simple and effective. And for this parent of a teenager I need both in my life. Not to mention any help I can get on how to control anxiety.

One of the best ways I know on how to prevent stress is to get centered. What does that mean? It means different things for different people. Everyone has different ways to get centered, and as soon as you can figure out what your way or ways are, you can start implementing this stress reducing technique.

Why do we have stress?

The main reason we have stress, in my opinion, is that our lives, or portions of our lives, are out-of-control. Finances, health, kids, time - these are all areas that can easily get overwhelming and quickly can get out-of-control. This is a complex, fast-paced, stress-filled world we live in, and there’s really no way around that unless you live by yourself on a desert island. I know I don’t have that luxury.

Any best ways to reduce stress?

In my opinion, you can’t reduce the stress. But you can learn to handle it. One way to do this is to get centered.

Centering is what exactly?

Getting centered means figuring out something that you can do that will give you a sense of control in your life, even if it’s in a tiny way. It might not even be anything that needs controlling, but it has to be something you can control. So even if you can’t control any or all of the big things, if you can control something small, it can do wonders for your overall stress level.

Where do I start?

All you need to do is find an activity that helps you to feel relaxed. These come in all different sizes and shapes and are what you like to do, so don’t use your neighbors idea as a measure of the effectiveness of your centering ways. If it works for you, do it. I must tell you I love to mow the lawn. The sense of relief and completeness I feel in looking at the completed project, grass all neatly in a row, reduces my stress at once.

Another technique of mine is making the bed. It’s my wife this time that doesn’t mind this quirk of mine. I love the look of a smooth, tightly made bed with the sheets and blankets tucked in perfectly. Ahhhh!

My wife’s method of how to prevent stress? To clean the sliding glass door. When she’s feeling out-of-control, she almost runs for the Windex and paper towels, and gets that baby so clean you could eat off of it. It’s her way of getting centered.

Every paper clip has its place!

I know of a corporate bigwig who got centered by going through his paper clips and sorting the small ones from the large ones. When his secretary offered to do this mundane job for him, he politely declined. He knew this little secret kept him centered and at the top of his game!

So stop and figure it out now. What things can you do to reduce anxiety? Have a few tucked away and when you need to get centered you will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment